Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rest.

I woke up today after an extra long (Thank you brain!) sleep, and got up, fed kitties (I'm at my parents' house for a few hours, so i'm armed with my new inhaler and enjoying the breeze on the deck), fed myself, talked to my brother and his very sweet friend. Then i checked my e-mail; i knew there would be mail from one of my best buds who is helping do a fundraiser for me and my family, that he had sent me mail, so i looked that over, closed the mail.

Then i felt it. IT. The panic that  "OHMYGOSH! I'm not working on this mold crisis! I have to! I can't play FarmVille when there is trouble in life!" And quite possibly a little, "Shame on me". 

But suddenly, i just felt somewhere inside me this phrase: "The Discipline of Rest". I obviously wasn't thinking about rest, so i knew it came from somewhere else. I Googled the phrase, and there is a LOT of stuff about rest - just letting oneself slow down, chill, take a breath, whatever that means for you. So i am doing that. Well, trying. It really is a discipline! We all feel like we are what we do, that perhaps our worth can be found only in our work. 


I believe that when God created this world, and gave Himself a day of rest, that wasn't because "Whew! Coming up with that many kinds of bugs was just exhausting!". I believe it was a model for us. I also believe, and i know many of you don't and that's fine, but I believe that God is kind. (why else would he make kittens? duh!) :) And i think resting is important. 

Which is why that's my whole blog for today. If you need me, i'll be playing silly games on FaceBook. Which is hard, i feel my heart racing in that panic my Mom has been in for the past few weeks. So i am giving myself, and YOU, if you'd like, permission to take a break. Have a rest. 

I thought this was really interesting as i looked for this phrase, i recommend checking it out, especially if you are having a hard time just letting yourself rest:

The Four Disciplines of the Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment